Inde Navarrette Reportedly Passes on Heat 2 for MCU Rogue Role
Inde Navarrette is reportedly set to prioritize Marvel's upcoming X-Men film over Michael Mann's Heat 2, with a report claiming she passed on a role in the crime sequel because its production schedule conflicted with Marvel's plans. The same report says Navarrette is lined up to play Rogue in the MCU, placing her in one of the most closely watched superhero casting moves ahead of the first MCU X-Men movie's planned 2028 release.
The claim comes from Page Six, which reported that Navarrette had been offered the role of Sharlene in Heat 2, the character Ashley Judd played in the original film. According to that report, filming on Mann's sequel is due to begin this fall, and the schedule overlapped with work on Marvel's next X-Men project.
Marvel has not publicly confirmed Navarrette's casting in the film. Still, the reported decision fits the scale of the studio's plans for the mutant franchise. The first MCU X-Men movie is slated to reach theaters on May 5, 2028, and it is expected to serve as a major pillar of Marvel's next phase.
The reported cast around Navarrette is already notable. Maya Boyd is said to be playing Storm, Christopher Abbott is attached to Professor Charles Xavier, and Adam Driver is reportedly set for Mister Sinister. Kit Connor and Samara Weaving had previously been linked to Scott Summers and Emma Frost, while Sadie Sink has already appeared as Jean Grey in Spider-Man: Brand New Day.
Navarrette's name has been rising quickly after Obsession became an unexpected breakout hit. The indie horror film reportedly earned more than $300 million worldwide against a production budget of about $700,000. In the film, Navarrette played Nikki, a young woman overtaken by a malevolent force after a character named Bear makes a supernatural wish tied to obsession and control. That performance appears to have put her in contention for several larger studio projects.
The same report says Navarrette also declined another horror film in order to stay available for X-Men. If accurate, that points to a deliberate shift toward franchise work at a moment when Marvel is rebuilding one of its most important comic properties for the screen.
The X-Men reboot is reportedly being directed by Matthias Hoene. Marvel has yet to outline the story publicly, but the casting choices suggest a mix of familiar team leaders, major antagonists, and characters tied to the broader mutant world Marvel is now assembling inside the MCU.
For Heat 2, losing a young lead to a franchise scheduling conflict would be a reminder of how difficult it has become for prestige studio dramas to compete with long-term superhero commitments. For Marvel, landing Rogue as a central figure would make sense. The character has long been one of the most popular X-Men, and bringing her in early would give the studio a strong emotional anchor for the new team.